Thursday, August 07, 2008

F1 at Monaco, 6" x 8", Oil on Panel, 2008

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Hey, this isn't Rob Ijbema's blog. What's going on here?" And you'd be right. This painting above is slated as a gift and isn't for sale.This isn't Rob Ijbema's blog, but I would be lying if I wasn't inspired by Rob's "Car A Day" blog and his fantastic paintings from everything from Formula One to Nascar to classic autos. There's an almost boyhood-like attraction for me to these cars--everything about them sets my inner 9 year old into a spin. (I'm sure the same is true for Rob Ijbema, who, it should be noted here, has no idea that I'm linking him multiple times in today's blog entry.) It's always a fun and interesting challenge to completely change gears from the subjects I normally paint, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts, especially Rob.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Pablo Díaz said...

You´re right. Car A Day was my first thought when I arrive here.

Different style but as good as Rob´s cars.

8/07/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Pablo--it was a lot of fun to make this one and I have a new appreciation for what Rob does!

8/07/2008  
Blogger David Lobenberg said...

I clicked onto your blog and said "What the hey!? I'm thinking Rob's gonna like this one!

8/08/2008  
Blogger rob ijbema said...

excellent Cooper
coming out of the tunel in Monaco,i love the lights,they are not easy to pull of convincingly.
also the tyres are perfect,although they didn't run a frontwing like that when Webber was at williams several years ago,
so i reckon it is rosberg or nakajima...also the airbox is a bit to wide...but that is just me
being a rivit counter,i really like the spirir in wich this is done,vroooom,way to go Cooper!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks David. I hope so!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Hey Rob! Great to hear from you. I'm a bit of a rivet counter as well and at 5pm when I took the photo for the blog and put it next to the actual photo, I could really see the subtle differences--so a few things I will correct before I wrap it up. I also changed the title, just to avoid any confusion! Thanks for writing!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

My first thought ;)

I have lately been realizing that I'm editing subject matter according to who 'does that' and probably has done it well. BUT... it's all been done, so I should paint a race car if it moves me.
You did a great job with that.

8/08/2008  
Blogger silvina said...

Funny post and great painting!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Denny said...

oh ...i see, it's a racing car...
a plethora of shapes is what I see!
very nice!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Mary. I'm glad you thought it was a Rob Ijbema!

8/08/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Silvina...

8/08/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Denny, thanks. I did like the abstract qualities of this photo to begin with.

8/08/2008  
Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

AS Denny mentions Cooper, you captured Rob's way of making a bunch of abstract shapes, look like a race car. Bravo!

8/13/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home