Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dutra's, 9" x 12", Oil on Panel, 2008
I was down visiting my mom this past weekend on Cape Cod. We are in a show together this coming July at the Sandpiper Gallery in Wellfleet. I need to get crackin' on getting ready and this was an image from last summer that I have been meaning to work on. Truro is the second-to-last town on the outer Cape and this store is in Truro center--actually it is Truro center, or better said, Truro central. Coffee shops and restaurants open and close with the warm weather, but Dutra's remains open throughout the year for the handful of residents who reside in town. It's a great store that reminds me that Cape Cod isn't just a destination or retirement home, but a real community of heartly people, not so unlike Maine.
Sadly, just down the road from this little market is a cottage once occupied by Edward Hopper, back when the railroad ran all the way to the end of the Cape. The house has been recently purchased as well as approximately 9 acres where a 6,000 square foot waterfront home is slated to be built. Even the state has gotten involved in the issue, contesting whether their are historical or environmental reasons to prohibit its construction. It remains to be seen what comes of it.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Great version of Dutra's.
I love how you simplified it.

My last visit there, this past September, I choked :)
Cars coming and going. People walking up and chatting, and so on. I don't do well with an audience.

So, I went out to the point on Post Road, and set up in the dunes,only to get mosquito bites as soon as I started to paint, and the bug spray was back at the room. I decide to dedicate the rest of the day to taking pictures.

Check out the links on my 'Doors'post.
Creative eyes abound!

3/12/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Mary. Yes, off-season is often best on the Cape. Or early morning. Helpful to have a free place to stay as well!

3/13/2008  
Blogger Robin Weiss said...

Cooper, Nice warmth and light! Very inviting little storefront. I see Hoppers ghost in this one!

3/13/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Robin! Hopper's ghost is about as great a compliment as I could ever hope for! It is his turf, that's for sure.

3/13/2008  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Wow, if I lived out there I'd be Hopper sitting to stop them!

3/14/2008  
Blogger silvina said...

Hi Cooper, this is charming. I especially like the flag at the door.

Something weird... I just now got this picture in my e-mail, even though it's dated the 12th. But I see it wasn't the case with the other visitors.

3/18/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home