Monday, February 04, 2008

Storm Surf, 6" x 6", Oil on Gessoed Panel, 2008 SOLD

I took the dog for two walks this past Friday, the first one a few hours ahead of a winter storm that came in that afternoon. We went out to the rocks on the other side of town to check out the surf and the view. In the distance we could see a couple of lobster boats returning from out on the bay. They would disappear into the troughs now and again, and I kept looking back to make sure they were still afloat. Later in the day we went for a second walk in the early part of the storm.Between the wind, the sleet and freezing rain it was like having needles thrown at my face for thirty minutes. (Dozer, being much lower and closer to the ground, and covered in fur, didn't seem to notice nor care.) At times I had to walk with my hat and scarf pulled so tightly around my face I could hardly see where I was going! Taking some photos, I kept checking to see that the camera hadn't been pulverized by hail. The surf was spectacular and often made it hard to believe we were walking just a few miles from the house. It felt more like the coast of Labrador. But maybe then that would explain why the dog seemed so at home.

(PLEASE CLICK HERE TO BID ON EBAY)

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ambera said...

Extremely well done. I can't believe it's only 6x6, it's one of those paintings that's so affecting, you assume it must be huge.

2/04/2008  
Blogger Alvin Richard said...

I was absolutely thinking the same thing as Ambera, there is so much atmospheric smell in this small piece, would look amazing in a 48x48" work.

2/04/2008  
Blogger Frank Gardner said...

I agree, hard to imagine that this is just a 6x6.
Those lines on the huge rock and then the smaller ones really lead your eye into the piece Cooper. The islands out there are so simple yet so right on the money.
Your description of the freezing rain being like needles thrown at your face for thirty minutes is about as close as I need to get. Thanks for sharing that.

2/05/2008  
Blogger Stephen Magsig said...

absolutely stunning

2/05/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thank you Ambera! I'm glad the painting looks bigger than it is. Maybe I can pull off the same effect on a larger piece?

2/06/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thank you Alvin. I'm glad to hear it captures a sense of smell. It was a great spectacle all around out there that day!

2/06/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Frank. I guess I'm going to have to try to scale this one up into a larger piece!

2/06/2008  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Stephen!

2/06/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home