Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bottom Paint, 6" x 6", Oil on Panel, 2007
Lying at anchor in Portland Harbor, this giant dwarfs the tiny islands of Casco Bay. The ships in the harbor often appear out of place, but there is something wonderful about the contrast of this mass of steel and oil and man-madeness against the backdrop of small, rocky islands covered with pine trees.

SOLD


In other news:
I have been tagged!
Silvina Day
and Liza Hurst got me before I could think about how to escape!

Here are the rules: 1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog. 2. Share 5 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird. 3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs. 4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

1.I was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut. 2. I left teaching high school a bit over a year ago so I would have more time to post on my blog. 3. I have a fantastic wife who has been my wife for a bit more than two years (which is one year more than I've been painting full-time.). Before that I had a fantastic girlfriend for about three years. 4. In about a week we will become the proud parents of a puppy. 5. I once lost a hat while sailing out at sea and two weeks later went to the beach and there it was!

And now for my Five (oh, you lucky people):
Maggie Stiefvater
Todd Bonita
Jennifer McChristian
Rob Ijbema
W.K. Moore

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger W. K. Moore said...

Hey Cooper ... I first dug your art viewing your tug and ship paintings. Nice to see them again after mixing it up with the New England landscapes and city scenes. Best to you..

11/27/2007  
Blogger Frank Gardner said...

Nice one Cooper. Simple composition and color. I can really feel the massiveness of this one.

11/27/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks W.K.. They're fun, but I'm not sure what to make of them. We'll see...

11/28/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thank you Frank. I think the small canvas size helps to get that sense of scale.

11/28/2007  
Blogger Melissa E. Keyes said...

I think the ships are great! Have been up close to the monsters, and tho' tiny, your paintings capture their massiveness.

I've posted a link to your painting-a-day gallery site on a stock market discussion group about shipping. Shipping is going great guns because of China's growth, and we LOVE ships! Maybe one of the investor-geezers will buy a painting from you!

Cheers! and more ships!

11/28/2007  
Blogger Maggie Stiefvater said...

Darn you, Cooper! Ok, I'm kidding, I can do this. Plus, the rules are easier than last time I was tagged. Back then, when we walked uphill to school both ways, we had to list seven things about ourselves and tag seven more bloggers. Five is so much easier.

11/28/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Melissa. I love ships too, and would guess that someday these goliaths of the seas will go the same way the schooners and brigs and barkentines went--so better paint 'em now while they're still floating!

11/28/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Maggie, at least its not Freeze Tag. Imagine what kind of havoc that would do to your computer!

11/28/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home