Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Threading the Needle, 24" x 24", Oil on Panel, 2007

I know, I know. Not what you were expecting. First, I don't post for a few days and then when I do--an airplane!?! I must admit, I was reluctant to dedicate such a large canvas to an offbeat piece, as well as time and energy, and now storage. (And then of course to put this up online) It's not quite done, but close. I have also been working on large landscape pieces recently, essentially developing some smaller works and studies into full-size pieces. As for this one, I stumbled across this photo online and was really attracted to the dynamics and design elements of the original photograph--the linear qualities, repetition, contrast, layering, etc.. A great challenge with varying degrees of success. And a fun break from the usual. ( Apologies to Gerhard Richter . Any similarities are completely coincidental. )

(CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE AT EBAY)

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger craigstephens said...

I think that's a really cool painting. I love the muted palette.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Craig. I gessoed the panel in orange and then painted the whole thing in glazes of black and white.I think it's the orange ground that gives it a little life.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Todd Bonita said...

Just seeing what you were up to, very cool. A long way from Monhegan and a courageous effort here. You've captured a lot of movement and animation in this composition. A striking contrast in feel and mood from most of the work I'm used to seeing by you. You are very multi-talented, this is awesome!
Be good,
Todd

5/20/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Todd-Thanks, it was fun to get away from the ordinary for a day. This felt a bit more like drawing than painting.

5/21/2007  
Blogger W. K. Moore said...

Cooper very cool.. thx for taking the time to paint it and post it. At least one in CA is grooving on its powerful imagery. I bought a book not long ago on sale - 14 bucks about WWII and Viet Nam corps artists. Their work is unbelievably good... yours fits right in there.

5/21/2007  
Blogger william wray said...

I like it, but I'd suggest you put a lisghtly differen't tone of grey on the bomber to seperate it form the background a little.

5/21/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thank you W.K. Very kind of you to put me in the running with other WWII artists. I don't know if I'll do more or not? Good to break out of the groove now and again though.

5/22/2007  
Blogger Cooper Dragonette said...

Thanks Bill--I had a bit of a time getting it to look like it does online as it was. The underpainting seem to shine through in the photos so I had to tamper with it in iPhoto just to get it back to its monochromatic look. In the real painting the plane really "feels" above the clouds as opposed to in it. (Wish I had Photoshop!)

5/22/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home